Friday, November 3, 2017

PLEASE DON'T TOUCH MY BELLY!

Last week, my husband and I were at the supermarket trying to stock up on essential supplies. It was a few days before the repeat elections which meant we needed to be prepared for anything. Like many other Kenyans, we ended up contributing to the long supermarket queues, empty shelves and congested aisles trying our best to get as much as we could. The shopping experience in this particular supermarket is never the best since they have no air condition or fans (If you've been to Kisumu, you know how important this is). The store however is usually better stocked so they have us stuck on stupid coming back every time we have to bulk buy. One of the things I am most grateful for is that marriage has given me someone to go shopping with. Prior to this, society had already branded some of us as impulse buyers and spend thrifts. Those are just titles though it doesn't necessarily mean I am one. With my husband around though, I am proud to say I have become much more disciplined. 

As the handsome man and I walked around cracking jokes and picking out items from our list, I started to notice a couple of interesting things. People don't know how to act around pregnant women!  Just a week ago, at the office, one of my colleagues came up to me and began rubbing my belly which is a very common habit when people spot a lady with a bump. At the supermarket though, I saw a few shoppers get embarrassed when I caught them staring at my belly. One or two would instinctively move so far aside when I walked towards them so as to give me space. This only made me feel bigger than I actually am! A mother trying to keep up with her 2 maybe 3 year old also stopped briefly and forced herself to smile while muttering a low 'hello' before she resumed chasing after the hyper tot. It almost felt like her eyes and body language were warning me of some kind of danger ahead.
As a second time mum, you would think I would get used to the looks and weird reactions that people have when they realise you're pregnant. Even though it feels like it was more than two years ago with my daughter, the experience will always be awkward for any pregnant lady if you keep acting awkward around us! 

So what should or should you not do with pregnant women? Is rubbing on our belly's appropriate? Here is a brief guide on this weeks MOMENTS WITH MYRA of the Do's and Dont's to be mindful of when it comes to looking, touching and hanging out with pregnant women.
Enjoy! 

Myra...

2 comments:

Vida Fammie said...

I dont think its a good idea for everybody to touch a belly of a pregnant woman even though some people keep saying when someone touch ur belly he or she is like blessing the kid .But im sure not all the people are good people and since we cant distinguish who is bad and who is good so its better not to allow it.My opinion is i dont mind if the father of the kid touch it but not other people😊

Lizzle bizzle said...

Spot on Myra! People stare for loooong wifhout smiles or comment. puts many off presenting the bump in public. probs the most self conscious ive ever been. you are noticeable and its unwelcoming so you dont want those vibes around your unborn child.

When people commented, it made my day though.even welcomed unwarranted advice as reassurance society was looking forward to the baby. like when a group of teenagers would shout from a passing bus at a red traffic light 'congratulations...good luck...we hope its a girl'